EC Project of The Association Of Economic Development Of The Commercial, Business And Industrial Enterprises in Bulgaria
Home Home
Home
Back
MUNICIPALITY KARLOVO
Location
The municipality is situated in a valley surrounded by the highest part of the Balkan Mountain (the Troyan's Balkan and the Kalofer's Balkan) to the north, Central Sredna Gora to the south-east and the mountain treshold of Koznitsa to the west. It is on the border with Pavel Banya municipality to the east, Apriltsi, Troyan and Teteven - to the north, Pirdop - to the south, Koprivshtitsa - to the south-west, Hisar - to the south and Bresovo - to the south-west.
The territory of the municipality is 1089.154 sq.m.
Numerous towns, villages and fortresses, with no certain evidence left in the history, have been established, flourished and perished during the different epochs on the territory of the present Karlovo municipality. The existence of two Thracian settlements (in the regions of Saint Trinity and Saint Panteleimon) has been found. Consecrated grounds and relics of Medieval monasteries and churches, probably established upon the ruins of ancient heathen sanctuaries, have remained. During Roman times the main road has passed form Thracia to the Danube. It has lost its significance after the establishment of the Bulgarian country and the relocation of the historical events toward the eastern part of the Balkans.
Vassil Levski

The Poliev's House

The Poliev's house where
General Kartsov's headquarter has been
during the Liberation
of the town of Karlovo, 1877

Centre of the valley has been the fortress town Kopsa (Kopsis), which modified name Gyopsa is preserved as the other name of Stryama river. After the death of George Terter II in 1322, the towns from Sliven to Kopsis have become a property of Voysil, who established a kingdom under the supreme rule of Byzantine. Kopsis has become the capital. The conflicts between Voysil and the legal Bulgarian ruler Mihail III ended with Voysil's escape to his patrons and with the integration of the Balkan lowlands to the Bulgarian kingdom. The chronicles do not show any additional evidence for Kopsis history till the moment of the Turkish invasion.

The most probable successor of the town and centre of the region is Sushitsa settlement.
At the end of XIV century it has been conquered by the Turkish invaders and has become a property of Kaarlazade lala Ali bey, the leader of the first Turkish newcomers. Due to his contribution he has been rewarded by Bayazid sultan with the lands around the settlement and he has build a mosque, to which he devised all his properties. The old Sushitsa has been promoted as "kasaba" (a town - an administrative and a commercial centre) and has adopted the name of its possessor - Karla ova (the land of Karla). Upon the will of the Turkish lord, the new history of the town and the settlements around, has begun.
The town of Karlovo is the main town of the municipality. It includes another two towns - Kalofer and Klisura, and the villages of Anevo, Banya, Beguntsi, Bogdan, Vasil Levski, Vedrare, Voinyagovo, Gorni Domlyan, Domlyan, Dabene, Iganovo, Karavelovo, Kliment, Kurtovo, Karnare, Marino pole, Moskovets, Mrachenik, Pevtsite, Prolom, Rozino, Rozino, Slatina, Sokolitsa, Stoletovo, Hristo Danovo, and Sushitsa. With less than 500 people are the villages of Marino pole, Marchenik, Moskovets, Kurtovo and Pevtsite.
Karlovo, Municipality building  
Dr. Emil Stanev Kabaivanov,  Mayor of Karlovo municipality
   
Dr. Emil Stanev Kabaivanov
   
Mayor of Karlovo municipality
   
.: 0335 93 550
   
Water resources condition
Surface water pollution is a result of the inclusion of constructed sewerage net into the natural basins. An additional pollution results as a consequence of different economic activities, contradictory to the ecological standards as well as of the exploitation of the dung-hills.
In 1999 a survey on a subject "A programme for exploitation of the scraps in Karlovo municipality" has been made. It has been prepared by a study group, managed by engineer Emiliya Kostadinova and is available in the department "Agriculture, forest and water resources" to those who are interested in it.
Soil pollution
Due to the colloid composition of the soil components - clays, rock formations and others, the pollutants of the refuse waters are accumulated and deteriorate the surface composition and at certain areas, even deeper in the layers.
A programme for exploitation of scrap on the territory of the municipality has been developed in 1998 after winning a competition proclaimed by the municipality. In accordance with the responds for the possibilities of limiting the destructive influence of the scraps to the environment, the duties by means of which an ecologically exploitation of scraps is to be achieved, are defined and selected.
HISTORICAL MUSEUM - THE TOWN OF KARLOVO
4300 Karlovo No 4 "Vazrozhdenska" Str. 4300,
The museum exposition is settled in the building of the ancient Bulgarian school, a significant architectural and historical monument of culture (1871). Two are the main expositions: "Ethnography" and "The Bulgarian Revival". Special attention is to be paid to the Ethnographic department, where art jewelers, tissues and tools of ancient crafts are collected and exposed.
A huge number of documents and belongings of the economic, cultural and social life in the town of Karlovo are exposed in "The Bulgarian Revival" department.
A MEMORIAL HOUSE "VASIL LEVSKI " - 57, "General Kartsarov" Str.; l. 0335/ 3489
Its doors are open for a visit every day every from 8.30 till 13.00 and from 14.00 till 17.00
Vasil Vevski's native home is one of the first memorial museums in Bulgaria. Built up in XVII century, later abandoned by the whole family, it has been ruined in the years of Liberation. The house has been restored by a public committee in 1933 and has been disposed for visits as a museum in 1937. Initially, the public committee and the cultural centre have been looking after it.
A MEMORIAL HOUSE  - VASIL LEVSKI
In 1954 it is included in the system for the governmental museums. In 1955 an exposition hall has been established. In 1965 a new, larger building has been constructed for the purpose and the old one has been rearranged into a cinema. In 1968 its statute of a memorial house "Vasil Levski" is taken down and of a museum it is turned into a branch of the City Historical museum - the town of Karlovo. In 1992, having in mind the great historical importance of the Apostle's personality Karlovo city council offers and the board of the Ministry of Public Science and Culture agrees the memorial house "Vasil Levski" to become an independent museum. In 2000 the Cabinet Council provides it with a statute of a governmental cultural institute of a national importance.
In 1994 the accomplishment of a project of the National Institute of the monuments of culture with originator M. Karazlateva for a restoration of the Apostle's native house begins (during 50"s and 60's of XX century numerous buildings in the region and the surroundings are destroyed and the construction of large blocks of houses begin). The first restored monument is the Chardaklievs house nearby Vasil Levski's native house whose inhabitants are in kin relationship with him. It is included in the memorial complex.
The memorial chapel "All Bulgarian Saints" , where the Apostle is burred, is nearby his home.
The museum funds are with exponents, connected with life-style of the Bulgarian during the Revival. Levski's native house is upholstered with some of them. Main part of the museum fund is the material, documents and photo evidence, connected with the Apostle's family life and cause and those of his adherents.
Museum
All biographic publications, scientific works, literary works dedicated to Vasil Levski are filed. More than 80 work of art present the artistic fund. Many of the materials in the museum are endowed. A part of the exponents are exposed in the hall of the museum, and the other just on temporary expositions.
The museum "Vasil Levski" possesses a video-hall with 25 places and a book-stall and stand for souvenirs. It offers popular science films, publicist and feature films for Vasil Levski, as well as lectures with a guide.
MEMORIAL HOUSE "HRISTO BOTEV" - KALOFER - Working time: 8.00-12.00; 13.30-17.30; Rest day without a rest day
Hristo Botev's museum

The museum "Hristo Botev" in Kalofer is a governmental cultural institute of national importance. There belongings, documents, editions, feature works and others, connected with the life and life-work of the genius Bulgarian poet and revolutionary are collected. The museum is built up at the place where the latest home of the Botevs has been. The following objects are included.

Bulgarian middle age living room

The house of Hristo Botev's family. It is one floor semi-solid construction with a basement deeply dug in the ground and bay-veranda. The environment in which the whole family has been living is represented with materials from the Revival epoch in the three rooms. The veranda and the sewing machine of Botev's mother are the original belongings. The house has been restored in 1944 base on the memories of Botev's brother gen. Kiril Botev and upon other Kalofer citizens of adult age.
Exposition hall. The building has been established in 1973. The life and life-work of Botev are traced back mainly by means of photos. The only things which are preserved of the poet's belongings - his pocket, watch and writing materials are exposed as well. The printing press of "Zname" and pre-printing press of Dimitar Panichkov are original exponents as well as photos and personal belongings of Hristo Botev's wife and daughter and those of his associates. An ethnographic exposition "Altan Kalofer" - presented especially with materials from the museum fund is presented in the basement.
  Memorial house museum "Hristo Botev"
The rock from where Botev has made a speech on 11th May 1867
An exposition "Educational Activity" - Daskalbotev's school (Theacher Botev's school). The building is located in the centre of the town of Kalofer. It has been built up in 1848 on Botyo Petkov's initiative - a prominent educationalist from the Bulgarian national revival. Hristo Botev has studied and later on become a teacher at the school. After Kalofer has been burnt down , the building has been entirely ruined. In 1980 it has been restored and turned into a museum, which traces back the development of the Bulgarian education in the town of Kalofer during the revival. There, representations of a "'co-education" school where pupils, which have been advanced in the education help the others, a division school, a teacher's and a municipal room are exhibit. The ground floor is rearranged as fine art gallery, where Bulgarian art work portraits of Hristo Botev are exposed
The rock from where Botev
has made a speech
on 11th May 1867
 
  BOTYO PETKOV'S HOUSE - "Daskal Botyo" Str. 11
Teacher's Botyo school

Teacher's Botyo school
The native home of the popular teacher and writer form the revival period, Hristo Botev's father. The exposition is visited by placing and order to the Historical museum - the town of Karlovo.
Teacher's Botyo school
 
  Rose feast
It is held each year, on the first Saturday of June.
Rose feast - It is held each year, on the first Saturday of June.
Roses  from Bulgaria
Bulgaria, country of roses

 
Contact Address:
Municipality Karlovo
Dr. Emil Kabaivanov - Mayor of Karlovo municipality
1, Petko Sabev str.
BG-4300 Karlovo
Phone: 0335 96741
Fax: 0335 93459
-Mail: karlovo@satnet-bg.com; karlovo@mail.bg
Internet: http://www.karlovo.bg/